This publication is part of the R&D project PLEC2021-007609 funded by MCIN/AEI /10.13039/501100011033 and the European Union NextGenerationEU/PRTR.
Project purpose and Description
The METROPOLIS project aims to develop smart mobility applications based on data-driven collaborative strategies for passenger and freight distribution in metropolitan areas. The creation of a Twin mobility model will assist city councils in the definition of complementary multimodal services, to satisfy a high number of potential demands. The creation of an Urban Mobility Data Centre and the conceptualization and development of new autonomous-vehicle solutions are also considered. These technological-centred measures will help regional and local authorities address the mobility targets in terms of sustainability, safety and equity.
Objectives and Outcomes
The achievements of this project will be used as a proof of concept of new mobility solutions for passengers and freight movements and the pillar for the service ideation and innovation process in Spanish cities.
The project will contribute to a safer, more efficient and sustainable mobility system, both for passengers and freight, through the validation of data-driven and recent technologies in transit and freight transport in cities.
The major outputs and objectives are:
● Development of an analytical framework facilitating consistent and transferable smart mobility services
● Provision of reliable passenger and freight up-to-date parameters about technological
performance (latencies) to be used in other technological sound studies
● Optimization models to design tailored services for multiple urban site configurations
● Estimation of externalities saved with regard to current systems
● Proof-of-concept and future patents of data-driven methodologies and AV solutions implemented in urban scenarios
● Internationalization and concept development (prototypes, spin-offs) by means of the M-factory and Innovation accelerators existing in the EIT Knowledge Innovation Community in Urban Mobility
● The provision of recommendations and guidelines for city managers and decision-makers
● More jobs were created in the conceptualization and market development of the services